
A man accused in a massive Minnesota fraud investigation was arrested after he jumped out of a fourth-floor window during a raid tied to the case, according to Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Kash Patel.
Patel on Thursday said Muhammad Omar was charged with healthcare fraud involving a Housing Stabilization Services company, fraudulent claims for services not provided, and diverting the proceeds for personal benefit.
Earlier on Thursday, federal officials said Omar escaped while agents were executing search warrants connected to a sweeping healthcare fraud investigation involving 15 indictments and more than $90 million in alleged fraud tied to state-funded healthcare programs.
According to federal authorities, Omar leaped from a fourth-floor balcony window during the raid. FBI officials released video appearing to show him limping away from the scene and asked the public for help finding him.
Federal prosecutors alleged Omar was involved in a healthcare fraud scheme connected to a Housing Stabilization Services company. Investigators said the operation submitted fraudulent claims for services that were never provided and diverted taxpayer-funded proceeds for personal use.
The charges are part of a broader investigation into alleged fraud involving Minnesota public healthcare programs.
Assistant Attorney General for the National Fraud Enforcement Division Colin McDonald said the case involves seven state-managed programs “that have been systematically pilfered” by fraudsters who treated the programs like “their personal piggy bank.”
“Make no mistake — today’s charges are unprecedented,” McDonald said during a news conference.
BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT
The investigation remains ongoing, and additional charges could be filed as authorities continue reviewing evidence and financial records.