Gov. Moore says he won’t run for president in 2028 at town hall focused on national issues

image

Gov. Wes Moore used a town hall to weigh in on national politics and his future ambitions, while also addressing Marylanders’ concerns about the rising cost of living and high utility bills.

Moore said he is not running for president in 2028, despite being described during the event as a “rising star” in the Democratic Party and someone who has been floated as a possible contender. Asked directly about 2028 plans, Moore said, “I’m not running for president.” When moderator Norah O’Donnell followed up, asking, “But you’re not saying you’ll never run?” Moore responded, “Idon’t see a reason. I love my job. I love what I’m doing.”

ALSO READ | State of the State: Moore blames Washington, GOP says Maryland needs leadership

Moore did not say he was ruling out a presidential run altogether. He said the next Democratic leader should focus on healing the country and have a track record of success.

During the town hall, Moore also criticized former President Joe Biden’s handling of immigration. “I definitely think the former president did not have this right,” Moore said. “I don’t think anyone could argue that we had this worked out under President Biden.” He added, “Immigration has been an issue that we as a country have punted on for a very long time.”

The issue of Maryland’s high energy bills did not come up until the second half hour of the town hall. Moore said it is hard for people to get by, conceding that Maryland is the most expensive state in the country for utilities right now.

Critics have argued that policies from Democrats in Annapolis are behind soaring prices, pointing to a drop in supply as plants close and go offline. Maryland is energy-dependent, importing about 40% of its energy needs from elsewhere. The state has pushed for more green energy projects, including solar and wind.

Moore pointed to a recent price cap at PJM and what he described as solutions to Maryland’s energy crisis. “We have not done enough to really fortify the grid to get more energy options,” Moore said. He also highlighted consumer relief efforts, saying, “We’ve provided, last year $200 million in rebates to Marylanders to make sure we are putting more money back into their pocket.”

Those rebates came from a fund that Republicans, including Senate Minority Leader Steve Hershey, argue is funded by policies passed by Democrats that force ratepayers to pay more. The $200 million Moore referenced resulted in two $40 rebates for Marylanders. This year, Moore is calling for $100 million to be pulled from the same fund for another $40 rebate.

To increase supply, Moore said Maryland and other states need to work with the federal government to encourage more production.

As a whole, political analyst John Dedie said the town hall lacked substance relevant to Marylanders. While Dedie said he like the questions – and Moore’s answers, generally – on national topics such as immigration, “on local barebones issues that Marylanders care about, I thought the follow-ups were weak,” Dedie said.

Moore’s town hall came as part of CBS News’ “Things That Matter” series. Vice President JD Vance was announced as the series’ next guest. His episode will air on March 14.