Money, Riches and Wealth

6:00 pm - 7:00 pm

Suspects arrested for murder, attempted murder had unserved warrants, records show

image

The recent arrests of a murder suspect and an attempted murder suspect in Baltimore have reignited the issue of unserved warrants.

Online court records show Darrien Robinson Jr., who was arrested last week for the October 2025 murder of a man on Greenmount Avenue in south Baltimore had a warrant out for his arrest about a month before the killing.

Records show that the warrant that went unserved was for a probation violation.

The 23-year-old is now accused of committing a murder in the interim.

Baltimore Police also announced last week the arrest of Preston Freeman for the attempted murder of a man in a robbery-turned-shooting that occurred in south Baltimore back on February 10.

Court records show Freeman had three open warrants at the time of this alleged crime, including two open warrants in Baltimore City and one open warrant in Baltimore County.

Records show all of the unserved warrants were for failing to appear in court for misdemeanor theft and/or misdemeanor drug related charges.

The longest warrant to go unserved was issued about a month and a half before the shooting, records show.

The issue of unserved warrants has been longstanding.

Just last year a 33-year-old man was shot and killed inside Johnston Square Apartments.

ALSO READ | Family says unserved warrant cost father his life, Mayor questioned on issue

Records show the man now charged with his murder, Tyrone Epps was already wanted by police for a felony assault and home invasion that had occurred at the same location about six months prior to the killing.

In 2024, Bryan Cherry was accused of murdering three women in two, separate cases while with an open felony warrant.

ALSO READ | Records show accused murderer Bryan Cherry given second chance after violating pre-trial

In 2023 there was the murder of Baltimore tech CEO Pava LaPere.

LaPere’s now convicted killer Jason Billingsley had a warrant out of his arrest for attempted murder when investigators said he killed LaPere.

“Our research shows fugitives on the run commit more crime,” said Don Snider, a Commander with the Capital Area Regional Task Force, during a previous press conference.

In the past agencies have spoken to the issue, including the Baltimore Police Department.

When questioned, BPD has said the agency prioritizes warrants based on the severity of the crime.

Law enforcement expert Jason Johnson believes the issue of unserved warrants is a nationwide problem that comes down to staffing and budgeting, and often warrants for misdemeanor crimes are low priority.

“They don’t have the resources or the manpower to track down every single person with an open warrant so therefore you’re going to have a lot of people who have open warrants,” said Johnson. “People who are going about their business, probably committing other crimes, and are waiting to be arrested. It really gets down to the resources.”

Earlier this month BPD reported the Department was more than 400 officers short. About two years ago that number was around 600.

ALSO READ | Baltimore Police Commissioner hopes to beef up patrol, add 150 officers by end of year

As for these two most recent cases, records show both suspects remain in custody and with upcoming court dates.