
HUNT VALLEY, Md. (TNND) — India’s top official for electronics and information technology announced Tuesday that he is considering age restrictions for social media users.
Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said during a press conference that his office is discussing potential restrictions and other issues, like deepfakes, with social media companies.
“Right now, we are in conversation regarding deepfakes, regarding age-based restrictions with the various social media platforms on what is the right way to go forward on this,” Vaishnaw said.
The National News Desk requested comment from several large social media companies but hasn’t received any response.
The Internet Freedom Foundation (IFF), an Indian digital rights organization, told German news outlet Deutsche Welle last week that India could have difficulty implementing age restrictions.
“A ban can be enforced only on paper by asking platforms to block under-16 accounts,” IFF Founder Director Apar Gupta said. “But in India, it will be weak in practice and risky for rights.”
Vaishnaw noted during the press conference that many other countries have already discussed or approved restrictions. Australia, for example, recently banned children under 16 from having social media accounts.
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has said the law gives “peace of mind” to parents who had to worry about harms their children face from social media. Albanese explained in a statement in December that the ban would allow families to keep their kids safe while pushing back against social pressure.
“This law is about making it easier for you to have a conversation with your child about the risks and harms of engaging online,” the prime minister said.
“You don’t have to worry that by stopping your child using social media, you’re somehow making them the odd one out,” Albanese added. “Now, instead of trying to set a ‘family rule’, you can point to a national ban.”
Meta has rejected the government’s argument, pointing to concerns raised by parents and experts about the ban’s effects. The groups have reported teens feeling isolated and families expressing little interest in complying with the law, leading to the use of less regulated apps and other parts of the internet, according to Meta.
The company suggested in a blog post last month that Australia instead require app stores to verify age and obtain parental approval before teens download apps.
“This is the only way to guarantee consistent, industry-wide protections for young people, no matter which apps they use, and to avoid the whack-a-mole effect of catching up with new apps that teens will migrate to in order to circumvent the social media ban law,” Meta wrote.
Have questions, concerns or tips? Send them to Ray at rjlewis@sbgtv.com.