Trump says kidnappers of Nancy Guthrie could face death penalty if she’s not alive

image

President Donald Trump said Monday that those who kidnapped Nancy Guthrie, the mother of broadcast journalist Savannah Guthrie, better return her alive or they would face massive federal penalties.

Trump said in an exclusive interview with the New York Post that he would want the Department of Justice to seek the death penalty if Nancy Guthrie were found dead.

When asked over the phone by the New York Post about the death penalty for the kidnappers, Trump answered, “The most, yeah-that’s true.”

Guthrie was taken from her home in Arizona on Feb. 1. So far, there have been no arrests made and as of now, there isn’t a suspect in custody.

FBI Phoenix said the FBI is increasing its reward from $50,000 to $100,000 for information that leads to the individual or individuals who were involved in her kidnapping.

At the moment, authorities are testing DNA found at the scene.

“DNA other than Nancy Guthrie’s and those in close contact to her has been collected from the property,” the sheriff’s department said on Friday in a statement to PEOPLE. “Investigators are working to identify who it belongs to. We are not disclosing where that DNA was located.”

There was recently a federal-ordered search warrant in the home on Friday, but no arrests occurred.

On Monday, Sheriff Chris Nanos cleared all family members in the case.