Man accused of Prince George’s County shooting spree held without bond; has criminal past

image

A Glen Burnie, Maryland, man accused of carrying out a shooting spree that injured two people last week was held without bond after waiving his right to a bond review hearing Monday in Upper Marlboro.

Larry James Simpson faces 66 charges connected to the Friday shootings, which investigators said stretched across several miles of the county. Authorities allege Simpson randomly targeted multiple people while firing an assault-style rifle from three different carjacked vehicles.

PREVIOUS | 2 hospitalized, 1 arrested after carjacking, shooting spree in Prince George’s County

Two people were injured during the incident, according to charging documents. One victim was struck by a bullet, while another was injured by shattered glass.

The case has also renewed scrutiny of Simpson’s criminal history after court records reviewed by 7News showed he had previously been sentenced to life plus 40 years in prison for a 1983 murder in Beltsville.

Simpson was convicted in 1987 of the killing of 21-year-old John Parker of Portsmouth, Virginia, a Radio Shack employee who was fatally shot with a sawed-off shotgun during a robbery, according to court records.

At the time Simpson was identified as a suspect in the killing, records show he was already in custody for shooting at District of Columbia police officers.

Despite the life sentence, Simpson was released from prison in 2023 after Judge Beverly Woodard granted a motion to modify his sentence to time served, totaling more than 35 years.

Tara Jackson said Monday that prosecutors are reviewing the circumstances surrounding Simpson’s release as the new case moves forward.

Comment with Bubbles

JOIN THE CONVERSATION (1)

Simpson remains jailed pending further court proceedings.