SWAT serves warrant in teen murder case; suspect found dead in Baltimore County home

image

Police found the suspect wanted in the killing of a 17-year-old girl dead inside a Baltimore County home after officers moved in to serve a search and seizure warrant Thursday night, authorities said.

Baltimore City police said 18-year-old Christian Hursey was believed to have taken his own life while officers were attempting to serve the warrant at a house on Lawnwood Circle near Windsor Mill Road in Woodlawn. Police have not said how the house was connected to the investigation or whether a tip led them there.

ALSO READ | Feds join search for ex-boyfriend of teen fatally shot; reward $11,500

Hursey had been wanted in the murder of 17-year-old Jada Sellers, who was shot and killed July 31 outside a house on Lyndhurst Street. A reward of more than $11,000 had been offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case.

Baltimore City police homicide detectives, along with the Baltimore County Police Department’s SWAT team, went to the Baltimore County home where Hursey was believed to be. Police said that as officers entered the home Thursday at about 8:30 p.m., they heard a single gunshot coming from the basement. Hursey was found in the basement “suffering from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound” and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Neighbor Carol Mays said she saw a large police presence Thursday night but did not know why officers were there until later. “I feel that pain because my nephew committed suicide. So another young kid to do that, it hurts. It’s real, it’s sad,” Mays said.

ALSO READ | ‘Larger than life’: Family, community mourn Baltimore County teen after fatal shooting

Another neighbor, Mwanza Bridges, said the news was shocking. “I heard the news about this guy that they’re looking for. They’re supposed to kill this girl, but would have never thought he would have been right in the neighborhood,” Bridges said. “It’s very sad because 18, still so young, you know? So I’m very surprised to hear something like that happen, like maybe eight houses out, so yeah, very, very surprised.”

Baltimore City Police Commissioner Richard Worley issued a statement to both families, saying in part: “While the circumstances surrounding their deaths are very different, our thoughts remain with the families during this incredibly difficult time.”

Follow FOX45 reporter Keith Daniels on X and Facebook. Send tips to Kdaniels@sbgtv.com.